Saturday, January 5, 2013

And So It Begins...(Chocolate-Bacon Rice Crispy Treats)

All I can say is that this was my sister's idea.  I guess I've always loved bacon.  At first I thought it all stemmed back to my Grandma Mary's Big Texas Breakfast,  (OK, It was seriously a Big Alaskan Breakfast, cause we all know Alaska is bigger than Texas) that included Bacon, Scrambled Eggs cooked in Bacon grease, and big Buttermilk Biscuits with butter and and honey.  Mm mm, it was a special treat when we stayed at Grandma's house overnight.  Made it worth those nights spent on the Trundle Bed.  So, up until a couple of weeks ago, that's where I thought this Birth of Bacon Love was born.  That is until I received a message from my mom on facebook, responding to one of my many posts about bacon.  She said that my Grandma Eve used to make Pork Roasts and would leave the skin on to get all crispy and crackly.  Cracklin'.  Her and my father would fight over it.  Mom swears my love of the Pig Belly is Genetic. 

It wasn't until recent years that my love has really blossomed culinary.  I blame TV Shows like "Top Chef" and "United States of Bacon" to really add fuel to the creative bacon fire.  It was a few recipes I picked up here and there.  Now I have an entire section of my cook book devoted to Nature's Meat Candy. I have started experimenting in my tastes.  While in Salem, Oregon visiting with my mom and family that I heard of the delicious, party-in-your-mouth Maple Bacon Doughnut from the famous "Voodoo Doughnuts" in Portland.  I was in bacon heaven.  Portland's Rogue Brewery created a beer that I had to try, based on the doughnut.  It was almost like drinking bacon, that had been soaking in a heavy maple ale...

So this is my sordid tale of bacon.  Everyone has a road to travel, so when I'm not working, teaching Yoga, being a mom...I'm walking the road paved in bacon.

Today's Journey starts with....





Chocolate-Bacon Rice Crispy Treats

Just the perfect combination of salty and sweet, fluffy marshmallow, crispy bacon, and milky chocolate, these little squares will have you thanking the pig the bacon came from, wishing it an amazing afterlife...

1 lb. Bacon
6 cups rice crispy cereal
1 bag of large marshmallows
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp reserved bacon grease
1 bag of milk chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking pan with foil. place a cooling rack on the lined pan.  Lay your bacon strips on the cooling rack pan and place in oven and cook for 17-20 minutes. Drain grease from bacon, and reserve 2 tbsp for later use. You don’t need to use all of the bacon, but chop at least 3 or 4 strips and set aside.  You can chop additional slices for the topping as well.
2. In a large pot combine butter and marshmallows and reserved 2 tbsp of bacon grease.  Cook on the stove at medium heat, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in half of the chopped bacon into the marshmallow mixture. Gently stir the cereal into marshmallow bacon mixture a little bit at a time.
4. Pour mixture into a buttered baking pan (or light oil spray). You’ll want to scrape down the sides of the bowl as to not leave any tasty bits behind! Use parchment or wax paper to press down the Crispies so they are flat and even in the pan.
5. Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Once melted, pour melted chocolate over crispy and spread over the tops with a spoon or spatula. If you have leftover chopped bacon, you can sprinkle some bits onto the melted chocolate. Place in the refrigerator to harden. Cut into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment