Monday, December 16, 2013

A Bacony Christmas (Acorn Squash Risotto with Bacon)

'Tis the season, for some mighty awesome bacon gifts.  My first so far...in the non-edible, clothing category....Bacon Apron!  Next time I'm smoking up another pork belly (in about 11 days) I'll be sporting this baby... (Thanks Mark!)



In fresh bacon news this week...Santa read my letter...(even though I was quite certain I was on the naughty list)...and Merry Christmas! Bacon will get cheaper.  With the great corn crop this year pigs have had an abundance of cheap corn to eat and are happy as pigs in ...well, you know.  What does that mean for the bacon connoisseur like you?  Brace yourself, Bacon prices will drop.  (I don't know about you, but my bacon budget is pretty high, so this is great news!)  Businessweek reports that currently bacon prices are nationally over $5 per pound.  Since September 2013, the price for bacon has slowly been going up and a national crisis of a impending bacon shortage were predicted.  It is now estimated that wholesale pork belly (just like the kind I buy to make my own bacon) will drop to around $1.80 a pound.  What does that mean for you?  If your lucky and local, more bacon food to share from yours truly! What does that mean for me?  I need to get started on a business proposal on a start-up for my own bacon food truck.  I could be bringing that bacon to you...!  If that is not one of the best Bacony Christmas Presents ever, then I don't know what is.






Want to hear the best Bacon Christmas Story?  Read Twas the Night Before Bacon...

This was so very good, I had leftovers that I ate even!  (I don't usually like leftovers)

 

 Acorn Squash Risotto with Bacon
  • 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled Acorn squash, divided
  • 3 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth 
  • 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
  • 5 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
Combine 2 cups squash and 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Place mixture in a food processor. Process until smooth. Return mixture to pan. Stir in broth; bring to a simmer. Reserve 1/4 cup squash mixture. Keep pan warm over low heat. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 1 cup squash, 2 1/2 cups squash mixture, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining squash mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring until each cup is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in reserved 1/4 cup squash mixture. Top with bacon.



No comments:

Post a Comment