Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Bacon Confessions (Cheesy Warm Bacon Potato Salad)

I've been avoiding writing this blog.  For weeks.  All because I have a confession to make.  Sigh.  Try not to think less of me....I don't like steak-cut bacon.  There.  I said it.  Sure, it's awesome, a really fat piece of bacon.  For some reason though, I prefer a slice of bacon to a slab of bacon.  I think it comes down to texture.  Part of what I love about bacon is the fact that it's both crispy and chewy.  You get a nice combination of some crispy edges and then get to bite softly through the fat.  It's a balance that only bacon can master.  So thumbs down for me on steak cut bacon, especially in a BLT and not served on a plate with a fork and knife.

This week, my cousin sent me the following picture...






...and while I can get on board with this idea, the thought of greasy bacon trying to hang onto my beer can had me concerned.  I know how this is going to end....wouldn't you know a true bacon koozie exists...




A friend from work reccommended this bacon recipe.  Warm Potato Salad had me intrigued, especially since the recipe calls for a half pound of cheese and 8 slices of bacon.  I made the dish with Maple Bacon I wondered aloud if it would taste better with a different kind of bacon, and my husband piped in and said I better make it again to test it out.  I think that's his way of approval, other than the cleaned plate, that is.



Cheesy Warm Bacon Potato Salad
Ingredients:
5 pounds of red potatoes, diced
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, diced
1 small onion, diced
6-8 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.  Place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.  Place bacon on cooling rack.  Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until desired crispiness.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Once completely cooled, crumble the bacon and set aside. 

Combine potatoes, mayonaise, cheese, onion, bacon in a bowl until mix thouroughly.  In a baking dish spoon potato mixture in, and then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.


Bake at
350°F degrees for an hour or until the potatoes are tender.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment