Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bacon, it turns out, could save the world! (Bacon Salisbury Steaks)




You know that angel and devil that sit on your shoulder to help guide your moral compass?  I think my devil is actually a pig.  Cloven hooves; check.  Curly tail; check.   And I swear, when he speaks, all I hear are the sizzling sounds of bacon.  He probably led me to this site here, convincing me of the positive, Sodium-tastic health benefits from bacon consumption.  Yeah, yeah.  I know.  But it’s what I need to tell myself, so that I can get to sleep at night.



I made this for dinner the other night, and my husband started publically thanking me on facebook, when I posted the picture.  I do believe the plates were licked clean.
 




Bacon Salisbury Steak
Ingredients
4-6 slices of bacon, diced
2-4 portions of the Versatile Beef Mix (recipe below)
1 tsp dried Parsley flakes
1 tsp dried Minced Onion
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup beef gravy
¼ cup water

In a pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Meanwhile, place beef mix in a bowl; stir in parsley and onion.  Shape into a patty and then coat in flour.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper towel to drain.

In the bacon drippings, brown the patty on both sides (2 minutes or so, per side).  Add gravy and water.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or so, until the meat is no longer pink.  Remove from pan, top with gravy and bacon.


Versatile Beef Mix
Ingredients
1 egg
½ cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp black pepper
1 lb lean ground beef (85% or 90% lean)

In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well, although try not to over mix.  Divide into 4 portions.  You can use this right away, or you can freeze for up to 3 months.  Thaw in refrigerator before using (if frozen).


No comments:

Post a Comment