Sunday, June 22, 2014

Change is Good. Bacon is Better. (Bad Boy Billy's Bacon Pulled-Pork Potatoes)

I swear to god my cat Mojo looks just like this when begging for bacon in my house...looks like all I'll need now is a Bacon Rug...


I love it when I get posts on facebook regarding new bacon products...this week's winner is Ass Kickin Bacon Ketchup.  Giddy up! (Thanks Matt).

As an ultimate bacon consumer I think it's my mission to find these products and share them with you.  Mahatma Ghandi once said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  I've had that as my personal email tagline for years actually, and thinking about it, I'd wish to see the world happy.  One of the things that makes me happiest is Bacon.  So, I'll change the world to happy, one piece of bacon at a time.






Once again, I make it to Saturday, with no idea what I'll be making for this week's blog.  A good friend Billy, stopped by yesterday morning, and was telling me all about these loaded salt potatoes that he threw on the grill with bacon and cheese and ranch and even pulled pork.  They sounded fantastic, and we were headed to the local public market to get some fresh produce, so this recipe was born.  It's a take on Billy's potatoes, and they were fantastic!


Bad Boy Billy's Bacon Pulled-Pork Potatoes
1 lb salt potatoes
3/4 cup salt
6 slices of bacon
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheese
1/4 stick of butter, chopped
5-6 lb. pork shoulder/pork butt
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

For Pulled Pork:
You'll want to start your Pork about 6-8 hours (on low) or 4-6 hours (on high) prior to your potatoes.  I prefer the crock pot method.  Place onion on the bottom of your slow cooker. Place pork shoulder, trimmed of any obvious excess fat, into slow cooker on top of onions.   Pour half of the sauce over the pork and cover.  Set remaining sauce aside.

Cook over low heat for about 8 hours (on low) or 4-5 hours (on high).  Remove pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks. Transfer meat back into slow cooker and cook for a few more minutes, until meat has soaked up the sauce. Pulled pork can be held on the “warm” setting in the slow cooker for serving.

For Bacon:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.  Place bacon on cooling rack.  Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until desired crispiness.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Once completely cooled, chop the bacon and set aside.

For Potatoes:
Wash the potatoes and set aside. Fill a large pot with water; stir in salt until it no longer dissolves and settles on the bottom. Place potatoes in the pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly.

To assemble this bad boy, you'll take the potatoes and spread them out on a foil-lined cookie sheet.  With a potato masher, smash the potatoes.  Top with butter.  Sprinkle most of the shredded cheese on top and then top with bacon.  Place in a warm oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.

Serve the pulled pork on top of the potatoes and top with remaining shredded cheese. 




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment