Monday, June 16, 2014

I Believe in the Bacon Fairy (Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Frosting with Candied Bacon)

I have no funny bacon anecdotes this week.  I must be losing my touch...or just preocupied with all of the other things going on around me.  Either way, I suckered you into reading another post about Bacon.  1 for Libby. 








For Father's Day this year, my husband wanted his Rochester-Favorite, Garbage Plate for his Father's day meal.  That got me out of cooking.  I couldn't let him down though and not make something with Bacon in it....This is a semi-homemade cupcake recipe.  Use a box.  Go ahead and cheat!  I doctor stuff all the time.  Sometimes, you just don't have to do it all the hard way.








Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Frosting with Candied Bacon
Ingredients
1 box of chocolate cake mix (I used Devil's Food cake)
1 1/2 cups cold coffee
6 slices of bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 container of cream frosting

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.  In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and the cinnamon.  Place bacon on cooling rack and sprinkle with brown sugar/cinnamon .  Turn bacon over and sprinkle on the other side.  Save 1/3 of the sugar mixture for the frosting, and set aside.  Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.  (Keep an eye on the bacon as the brown sugar can burn if left unattended.)  Remove from the oven and cool.  Once completely cooled, slice the bacon in to small slivers or slices.  Set aside.

Make the cake batter according to the package directions.  When it asks for water, substitute coffee for the water.  I used small cupcakes, the mini size.  Whatever size cupcakes you are using, line the muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.  Spray nonstick spray in each paper.  Pour in batter into cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 of the way full.  

For 12-24 large cupcakes, cook 18 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.  
For 24-48 mini cupcakes, cook 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

Let cupcakes cool before frosting.

Make Frosting!  Open your packaged frosting and in a medium size bowl, slowly blend in reserved brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.  Frost the cupcakes and top with sliced candied bacon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment