Sunday, March 16, 2014

Apply Bacon Liberally (Bacon Breakfast Pizza)


I see this shirt as "Apply Bacon Liberty"....must do as shirt says.


In honor of St. Patrick's day, my friend Jan and I went out this weekend for a traditional Irish Breakfast.  Along with a nice Magners Cider we feasted on eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, blood sausage, Irish soda bread and bacon.  Alas though, the bacon, was American, not Irish.  The Irish use the loin cut, back behind the ribs, which ends up being more like our northern neighbors, the Canadians.  The first time I had it, we had been in Pasedena and found a local Irish Pub that served a traditional breakfast.  The Irish bacon they served, was amazing; simply better than most other bacon.  I haven't been able to find a decent Irish bacon since.



 "You don't know what you've got, til it's gone"...truer words were never spoken.  I'm talking about the delicious bacon breakfast pizza that my last office cafeteria made.  They recently moved my department at work to another building, one without a cafeteria.  It's been 2 whole weeks since I've had their delectibly-full-of-bacon breakfast pizza.  You couldn't bite into it without massive amounts of bacon falling off.  It was epic.  I miss it.  I was having bacon breakfast pizza withdrawal.  It's like craving Chinese or KFC.  I can usually talk myself out of it for a few days, but sooner or later you must succumb to it's siren calls.  So here's my take on breakfast pizza.  I ran out of flour yesterday, but I did have Crescent Dough in the fridge.  It was light and flaky, and I'm hoping for leftovers for tomorrow's breakfast!


Bacon Breakfast Pizza
Ingredients:
1 package of Crescent Roll Dough
6 slices of bacon
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Turn on  oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and immediately place bacon on a broiling pan or cooling rack over a cookie sheet and bake until bacon is done and crispy.  Approx 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool on a paper towel-lined plate.  Crumble and set aside.

Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in bowl until blended.  Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds.  Sprinkle in Parmesan Cheese.  Continue cooking - pulling, lifting and folding eggs - until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.  Remove from heat.

Lining a new cookie sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil, unroll crescent dough until you have one large rectangle, sealing the perforated edges so you have one sheet of dough.  Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheddar cheese over the crescent dough.  Top with scrambled eggs, bacon pieces, and finish with the remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake pizza at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until edges of the dough are turning golden in color.

No comments:

Post a Comment