Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Favorite Vegetable is Bacon ("Crack" Broccoli with Bacon)

Just some comics my aunt sent me...

Did 'ya know....that I have bacon on the brain so much now, that often times while I am at work updating an account with my comments, I'll write "...will call bacon..." instead of "...will call back on..." (And I even screwed up this post with the same error)



So my friend Karen sent me the recipe for "Crack" Broccoli.  I, like you ask "what is Crack Broccoli"?  Only Broccoli that you can't stop eating and might make you sell your worldly possessions for.  Even the pickiest eater will want to try this delicious dish.  How do you make it even more irresistible?  Add Bacon of course!


"Crack" Broccoli with Bacon
1 large head of Broccoli
4 slices of Bacon
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Lemon wedges or lemon juice

Cook your bacon.  If in the oven, place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet and lay the bacon out.  For this recipe I sprinkled a tbsp of dark brown sugar over the bacon and let it cook in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes.  Drain on paper towels, and then dice. Set aside.

Peel the broccoli with a sharp paring knife as best as you can.  The thinner pieces of broccoli the better.  Cut the stems off the broccoli, and cut into long 1/2 inch pieces. Cut into long, thin florets.

Heat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, and place a large rimmed baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven.  Put the broccoli into a bowl, drizzle it with the oil and toss well until evenly coated. Sprinkle with the salt and sugar.  (Don't omit the sugar as it helps the broccoli brown!)

Remove the hot cookie sheet from the oven, and carefully transfer the broccoli to the sheet, spreading into an even layer.  Return the baking sheet to the oven until the stalks are browned and tender (about 9 to 11 minutes).  Transfer to a serving dish, squeeze a little lemon wedge or lemon juice over the broccoli and then top with diced bacon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment